Sunday, January 22, 2012

(I know it's late, but I needed to get this conversation out of my head. It started after an hour of light drinking and pondering, and decided I needed to hear their voices. Phone almost rang the full four times before the person I was hoping for picked up the phone.)

D: Hello?

S: Hey Dad...

(pause)

D: Zeke?

S: Yeah, it's me.

D: What's wrong with your voice?

(pause)

S: Had an accident. My throat's messed up a bit.

D: Anything I can do?

S: No, but thanks.

(pause)

S: How was the trip? I never got to ask.

D: It was great. Your mom kept wishing you were there.

S: I wouldn't have minded that.

D: Yeah...maybe then we wouldn't have come back to such bad news...

(pause)

D: The FBI have been here looking for you. Wondering if we've been in contact with you. The things they're saying...did you really kill that man?

S: It was an accident. I had my door rigged if anyone came in.

D: Why?

(pause)

S: Do you remember when I was a kid, and I never could sleep?

D: Of course.

S: Do you remember why?

D: You used to talk about seeing someone at your window. But you were on the second floor, I never understood what you were talking about.

(pause)

S: He came back.

D: What do you mean? Who came back?

S: This case we had, a bunch of kids went missing...he was behind all of it...and this guy he was using, he killed Lizzie and Eric...and I couldn't do anything, I couldn't help them...

D: Calm down, son, it's okay-

S: No it's not. I couldn't save them.

D: You can't save everyone.

S: But I couldn't save them. And it got me here, and it's gotten me hurt, and it's gotten so many people hurt or killed, and every time I try to do the right thing it just makes things worse...I just wanted to save them, Dad.

D: You did everything you could.

S: I thought if I could save the others...

D: Zeke. Listen to me. What happened happened. You can't change that. And I know it's hard, I know it's scary when you fail to save someone you care about. But you cannot allow that fear to control your life, or else you are never going to move on and do what you need to do. You can't let fear of failure run your whole life.

(pause)

S: I loved her, Dad...

D: I know, son. But sometimes the only way to grow up and move on is just to let people go.

(pause)

D: There's something else on your mind.

S: Something's happened...someone might be getting killed, and I don't know if I should save her or not, and if I do...Dad, I have a feeling I'm not going to make it out of this one.

D: Don't say that.

S: If I don't-

D: Zeke-

S: Dad.

(pause)

S: If I don't come back...I just wanted you to know how sorry I am that I put you and Mom through all this. I'm sorry I couldn't see you again. But just know I love you. Okay?

D: We love you too, Zeke. And we're always here for you. It's going to be okay.

S: I didn't mean to hurt anyone.

D: I know.

S: I just want to make things right.

D: Then do what you need to do. But know we'll be here waiting for you when you're done. We'll be here when you come home.

(pause)

S: I have to go.

D: Will we hear from you again?

S: I don't know...I hope so.

D: Okay. Your mother and I will be waiting.

(pause)

S: Love you, Dad. And Mom.

D: We love you too, Zeke. Come home soon.

S: Yeah...bye.

(end conversation)


...Yeah. I dunno. Just...needed to get it out of my head, I guess.

5 comments:

  1. Touching. Keep this in mind, Zeke. Your old man has some good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you planning on a suicide rush, use your head man. It got you this far despite all the losses and it'll get you through this one if you let it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll make it through this. You just do what you have to do to save her. I trust your judgement. If anyone can do this and come out of it alive, it's you. Wish I had the balls to stop running and do something more productive, like you. Maybe some day I will.
    Best of luck.
    Kzra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry everyone... Zeke's been around since almost the beginning of all this madness, but it looks like it's all finally over.

    ReplyDelete